I’ve been craving chai tea lately and have gone through several boxes of vanilla and spiced chai in the last couple of weeks. Yes, I drink that much tea, y’all. However, I realized that my body has been craving the chai itself. Chai tea has a ton of different ingredients in it, including clove, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, black tea, and more. The specific spices that are used in each different blend of chai (depending on where you buy it from) can vary slightly, but those are the main ones you’re going to find universal across all of them. I love me some chai tea and chai lattes!
After reviewing the health benefits of chai, I thought that I’d do a blog post for y’all so you will see what the amazing benefits of chai tea are and why you should add them to your repertoire of teas.
1. Chai is Antioxidant Rich Chai tea is an amazing source of antioxidants, and these help to smash the free radicals in your body and promote cellular health. It can prevent degenerative diseases and some cancers – and at the least, can help the cancer fight.
2. Chai is Great for Heart Health Chai has been shown to boost your heart. Black tea contains these cool things called flavonoids, which is a compound that has special components that prevent and reduce plaque buildup in the arteries. Cinnamon also helps to treat cardiovascular issues and reduce bad cholesterol.
3. Chai Can Improve Your Digestive System Chai has been shown to improve your digestion and calm your tummy. There have been multiple studies (y’all can google it) that consuming black tea has a great effect on the digestive system and help to prevent gastrointestinal issues. Ginger is also an amazing digestive aid!
4. Chai is Wonderful for Your Skin Chai – well the black tea in chai – has a high variety of vitamins and minerals that are wonderful for the skin. These include zinc, magnesium, potassium, and more – things that rejuvenate and protect the skin. Tea is also a great way to stay hydrated, which makes your skin look and feel young.
5. Chai Can Reduce Inflammation Chai has multiple ingredients that help with inflammation, such as ginger, black tea, cardamom, and cinnamon. They reduce inflammation in the body, soothe pain, and help the body operate more smoothly.
6. Chai is Good for Your Teeth Chai – well, tea in general – has been shown to be good for your oral health. Black tea has compounds in it that bust up and attach bad bacteria in the mouth. Other ingredients like ginger and cardamom also have antimicrobial and antifungal properties that kill bad oral pathogens. Keeping your mouth healthy can affect your overall health as well.
7. Chai Fights Colds, Flus, and Covids Chai can help to ease the symptoms of the common cold and fight it off completely. Black tea contains antiviral properties that help to prevent the common cold, and flu, and can help ward you against covid. Other ingredients in chai also can help with this, as they have antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. It also soothes sore throats and boosts your immune system.
8. Chai Helps Soothe Headaches Chai is amazing for helping with headaches due to the caffeine content in black tea. Caffeine constricts the blood vessels and helps to reduce the pain of headaches and migraines. However, be careful, black tea can cause headaches if used too much. It can also soothe nausea that goes along with headaches.
9. Chai is Good for Your Brain Chai can help to boost your cognitive function and focus. Studies have shown that cinnamon can help to reduce cognitive impairment and enhance cognition. Ginger has already been shown to do these things, plus it can increase your focus.
10. Chai Soothes Period Pains Chai is an amazing herbal remedy for helping with the stupid pains of periods. Cinnamon can help to reduce pain, nausea, and bleeding. Ginger can help with cramping. In fact, studies have shown that ginger can be just as effective as ibuprofen and that it can reduce the duration and intensity of periods.
And there you have it, 10 health benefits of chai tea and why you need to be drinking it on the regular!